Andrés Trujillo, a collective member of Cedro Alto, is a natural at producing naturals. Natural's in Colombia are relatively difficult to process due to the climate and the risk, so they tend to be a wealthy producers endeavour. Andrés is one of a minority of smallholders which have chosen to go down the route of producing naturals. In contrast with most, he has chosen to produce 100% of his own harvest and his father's using a natural process. This puts him into an even smaller group. A father of young children, him and his wife are setting themselves up for a bright future. His coffee is being offered in our Australia and the United Kingdom locations. Andrés Trujillo is a forward thinker, relentlessly pursuing cup quality to establish themselves in the specialty market, at the same time, in their second year of a three-year transition to achieve organic certification. He constantly looks into improving the efficiency on his farm, whilst still practicing agroforestry, has found balance between productivity, quality and environmental stewardship.
Fermentation takes an important part in coffee processing because this makes bacterias work to create different flavour profile. This coffee, Andres Tujillo is a natural processed typica and caturra, but not like other naturals, this coffee was fermented in the tank before it went for drying. This makes a different bio-condition hence different flavour characteristics.
How this coffee is roasted
It does not necessary to always roast the beans super light to highlight those flavours. So, we focused on its sweet-side of flavours in order to make a well-structured mouthfeel. Thus, it is well-developed, longer roasting time than usual but dropped out at a similar temperature so that to have a juicy, rounded and balanced quality.
- Origin: Colombia
- Region: Plandas Tolima
- Farm: Andres Tujillo
- Altitude: 1,900 masl
- Variety: Typica & caturra
- Process: Tank Fermentation Natural
- Best Ageing Window: 20-27 days
- Best as: Pourover Filter, Espresso
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 20g dose, 42g beverage yield, 22s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: Strawberry, stonefruits, mandarin, cacao
- Milk: 23g dose, 44g beverage yield, 30s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: Dark chocolate, stonefruits, soft mandarin
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 1m 40s extraction time, total 225g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: Strawberry, yellow peach, apricot, caramel, cacao, black tea