Located in the town of Pitalito in Huila, Colombia, El Mirador is a 32-hectare farm with 30 hectares of coffee. The farm includes a broad collection of varieties like Catiope, Mokka, Tabi, and Gesha, as well as three different Bourbon strains including Orange, Striped, and Pink Bourbon. Caturra is a core variety for the farm as well, making it a staple for volume lots.
Elkin Guzman, the owner of El Mirador, has been surrounded by coffee since he was born. His family has always been involved in coffee cultivation, trading, or retail. Collectively, his family has celebrated over 70 years in coffee now, with 12 years of research devoted to post-harvest processing techniques. All of this research and experience has brought Elkin to utilize multiple processing techniques depending on the individual lot of coffee, including Coffee Maceration, Lactic and Acetic Natural processes, and Natural Hydro Honey.
Harvest and post-harvest procedures are highly standardized for consistency and quality. First, the sugar content of the coffee cherries is measured in degrees Brix, followed by density and volumetric separation. Finally, the decision is made on which processing method is best suited to bring each lot to its fullest potential. The processing methods used by Elkin embody his pioneering spirit, combining different approaches to fermentation and drying techniques to complement each coffee’s inherent characteristics.
El Mirador is one of the most well-known coffee farm that is run by Elkin Guzman, the star producer. His coffees have been loved by so many roasters and barista champions as its quality and flavour are fantastic. This natural processed caturra has juicy, fruity characteristics as well as rounded and balanced texture and overall quality.
How this coffee is roasted
To boost its positive notes, this coffee is roasted light but slightly more developed.
- Origin: Colombia
- Region: Huila
- Farm: El Mirador
- Altitude: 1,615
- Variety: Caturra
- Process: Natural
- Best Ageing Window: 16-23 days
- Best as: Pourover Filter, Espresso
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 20g dose, 40g beverage yield, 23s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: Strawberry, plum, mandarin, cacao
- Milk: 23g dose, 44g beverage yield, 25s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: Cacao, strawberry, citrus
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 1m 50s extraction time, total 225g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: Strawberry, tropical, mandarin, grape, cacao nibs