Finca Villasol is a small 1 hectare farm at 1950 masl in Buesaco, Nariño. Producer Benavidez is only growing Caturra, of which he has 5000 trees. After picking and pulping, the coffee is dry-fermented for 16 hours, before being washed, and put on raised bed to dry for about 20 days. Nariño is located in the far south-west of Colombia bordering Ecuador, and is in general one of the most challenging, but also most interesting places to work. There is extremely high elevation, coffee up to 2200 meters, very steep hillsides, and mainly super tiny farms in very remote areas. We work alongside with exporters having coffee programs targeting certain areas, groups or producers investing in quality production. This coffee comes from a small farmer that work in relationship with our exporter and their staff for quality control. They deliver the parchment to a Bodega where the coffees will be analyzed, cupped, and kept separate for our approval. As for all the coffee and projects we are doing in Colombia we are paying high premiums based on scores, above the daily coffee prices determined by the FNC. All our coffees have to meet our standards on moisture below 11% and scores above 86 points. We are there to cup at site every year, as well as we visit the producers exporter to better manage the supply chain. In opposite to other regions in Colombia they can have extremely dry conditions during the harvest time, and humidity in the area can be low. This together with really high altitudes definitely affects the flavour profiles and make them different from any other Colombian coffees.
This washed caturra has an exceptional quality and flavour profile. Not only its frutiness such as plum, blackberry, lime are so tasty but also its black tea finish is just delicious.
How this coffee is roasted
This coffee is light roasted but well developed to enhance its fruitiness and black tea-like aftertaste.
- Origin: Colombia
- Region: Narino
- Farm: Finca Villasol
- Altitude: 1,950masl
- Variety: Caturra
- Process: Washed
- Best Ageing Window: 16-23 days
- Best as: Pourover Filter, Espresso
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 20g dose, 43g beverage yield, 27s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: blackberry, nectarine, plum, black tea
- Milk: 23g dose, 44g beverage yield, 33s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: Plum, cacao, vanilla
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 2m 45s extraction time, total 225g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: plum, blackberry, lime, cacao nib, black tea
GO TO BUY THIS COFFEE
GO TO BROWSE OTHER SINGLE ORIGINS