The farm of Finca Villa Betuila has been in Luis’s family for over 60 years and is located just next to the thick rain forest. This cold climate creates a perfect farming condition and aids in a slower coffee cherry maturation that increases the sugar content in the fruit and therefore creates a sweeter cup profile. The family has so much love and dedication to coffee as it has created a very fulfilling life for them and they are devoted with providing the best coffee they can starting from the ground up - the coffee trees. Whenever he finds a unique coffee tree from his farm - he tastes the coffee cherry, then divides the lot, and starts planting the seeds. Considering it takes 5 years to harvest coffee cherries, this requires a lot of passion and dedication! All of this hard work results in the production of amazing varieties, such as Pink Geisha, Caturron, Papayo, Pink Bourbon, Yellow Bourbon in his 4 acres of farm!
This Geisha is produced by one of the most progressive farmers in the community of Acevedo in Colombia, Luis Anibal Calderon. When the trend leaned towards mass produced coffees, he found his niche in chasing lower-yield specialty coffees and exotic varieties of much higher quality. Nobody in the region grows more differing varieties than him — the combination of an excellent micro-climate, fertile soil and his good hand have earned him international attention and recognition by now.
Geisha is one of the all time flavourite coffees that everyone loves. When it's from Colombia, there is a nuance that we love which is the cacao note. When the cacao note meets the other fruit flavours, it enhances the quality and the balance of the coffee. Also, it supports for the other complex flavours to be shining in the cup.
How this coffee is roasted
So, we roast this coffee with the light roasting profile so that the complex flavours are amazing while the sweetness and the balance are great.
- Origin: Colombia
- Region: Acevedo
- Farm: Finca Villa Betuila
- Altitude: 1,600-2,000 masl
- Variety: Geisha
- Process: Lactic Acid Fermentation Natural
- Best Ageing Window: 20-27 days
- Best as: Pourover Filter
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 19g dose, 45g beverage yield, 27s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: Jasmine, orange, peach, berries, black tea, cacao
- Milk: 23g dose, 45g beverage yield, 30s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: Blueberry cheese cake, chocolate shake
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 1m 50s extraction time, total 225g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: Jasmine, orange, peach, strawberry, yogurt, blueberry, earl grey, cacao