Rafael Amaya has been producing specialty coffee since 2015. His farm, La Virginia, is located in the Oporapa municipality of Huila. Rafael and his son take a progressive approach when it comes to processing coffee and are always experimenting with new techniques. This specific coffee has undergone a very long 180 hour dry anaerobic fermentation! This has created a coffee with retained cleanliness and acidity but also a jammy body and notes of stewed stone fruits.
This coffee was aged in a barrel which had used to age rum. Thus, the flavour of the rum has been infused in the coffee so that the coffee, ultimately, has super unique flavour characteristics.
How this coffee is roasted
This coffee is light roasted but well developed to enhance its sweetness and balance.
- Origin: Colombia
- Region: Huila
- Farm: La Virginia
- Altitude: 1,800-1,900masl
- Variety: Pink Bourbon
- Process: Rum Aged Washed
- Best Ageing Window: 21-28 days
- Best as: Espresso, Pourover Filter
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 20g dose, 50g beverage yield, 22s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: Whisky, rum, cacao nibs
- Milk: 23g dose, 50g beverage yield, 35s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: Irish coffee
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 1m 40s extraction time, total 225g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: Scotch whisky, spice, creamy texture, caramelised nuts, cacao nibs