Located on soft, volcanic clay within the Apaneca Mountains of El Salvador, Finca Himalaya cultivates much of their coffee under shade grown conditions, using cypress and pine trees to provide habitat for bees, rabbits, butterflies and a wide variety of birdlife. They use African drying beds, partly shaded from the wind, to slowly dry the coffee and ensure an even and controlled drying process. Coffee has been grown on the farm since 1875, and it has a reputation within El Salvador of being the first “specialty coffee farm” in the country.
The fruitiness and the rich texture are the best part of this coffee, natural red caturra from Finca Himalaya. Its juicy citrus note such as mandarin is so vibrant upon sweet dark chocolate flavour that comes with roasted almond finish.
How this coffee is roasted
This coffee is light roasted but well developed to enhance the balance.
- Origin: El Salvador
- Region: Apaneca
- Farm: Finca Himalaya
- Altitude: 1,500masl
- Variety: Red Caturra
- Process: Natural
- Best Ageing Window: 16-23 days
- Best as: Espresso, Pourover Filter
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 20g dose, 44g beverage yield, 23s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: mandarin, prune, cacao
- Milk: 23g dose, 44g beverage yield, 28s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: citrus, plum, dark chocolate
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 1m 45s extraction time, total 225g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: mandarin, prune, roasted almond, dark chocolate