Yirgacheffe is a “Coffee Growing Area” based on the Commercial Coffee Contracts from the Ethiopian Commodity Exchange (ECX). Yirgacheffe is located in the south of Ethiopia and it’s widely considered the birthplace of coffee. Many great coffee lots come from this area as it contains the popular areas of Worka, Koke, Konga, Beloya and the renowned Chelelektu.
In the past, lots purchased from the Yirgacheffe area could not be differentiated by mill eg. Konga or Chelelektu. Government regulations required all coffees from this region to be simply labelled “Yirgacheffe”. However with the recent changes made to the ECX, we are now able to trace some lots back to the town or even specific washing station they were produced. Also, in order to help roasters distinguish and identify these coffees, we continue to provide colour names that represent the cup profile for some of these beans.
This coffee is the best so far! Not only classical Ethiopian Yirgacheffe characteristics are beautiful in this coffee but also it has some unique notes such as bergamot and acacia honey which has made this coffee outstanding.
How this coffee is roasted
This coffee is light roasted to enhance its own unique characteristics.
- Origin: Ethiopia
- Region: Yirgacheffe
- Farm: Konga
- Altitude: 1,950-2,300masl
- Variety: Heirloom
- Process: Washed
- Best Ageing Window: 16-23 days
- Best as: Pourover Filter, Espresso
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 20g dose, 48g beverage yield, 22s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: bergamot, orange, peach, honey, green tea
- Milk: 23g dose, 44g beverage yield, 30s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: jasmine, milk chocolate, vanilla
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 2m 00s extraction time, total 225g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: jasmine, bergamot, orange, white peach, white nectarine, acacia honey