Don Fabio Caballero is a well-known coffee producer in Honduras. He is one of Sasa’s biggest mentors when it comes to coffee production and is a great advisor, able to answer all our questions and queries about coffee. He has also developed his own fertilizer which he applies to the small plants at the nursery and flowering plants at the farm. Don Fabio compares them to pregnant mums and newborn babies and believes these are the two stages when coffee plants need the most help to develop strong.
Don Fabio’s daughter, Marysabel, helps to manage some of his farms. They have entered their lots to competitions multiple times and in 2016 they won 1st place on Cup of Excellence with a record price of USD$120.50/lb
Don Fabio is one of the few producers we know who uses Guardiolas to dry his coffee. As there is not much sunlight and humidity is high in the area during harvesting, he mechanically dries his coffee at a very low temperature (40 degrees) for 60-70 hrs. This technique is effective as the coffee is losing moisture at a consistent rate and there is no risk of mould developing or any other issues related with poor drying. This has proven to extend shelf life on all of Don Fabio’s lots.
Caballero (Las Lomas) is a coffee that is natural processed and is very juicy, winey and deep fruity. Not only its fruity characters are unique and delicious but also its floral and tea-like aftertaste is another attracting part of this coffee. Absolutely great as an espresso and pourover filter coffee to kick start your day.
How this coffee is roasted
This coffee is light roasted in order to enhance its fruity characteristics. Also, the development time ratio is extended to achieve a great taste balance.
- Origin: Honduras
- Region: Chinacla
- Farm: Don Fabio
- Altitude: 1,600masl
- Variety: Catuai
- Process: Natural
- Best Ageing Window: 16-23 days
- Best as: Pourover Filter, Espresso
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 20g dose, 40g beverage yield, 26s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: Raspberry, black berry, peach, mandarine
- Milk: 23g dose, 44g beverage yield, 32s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: Berries, stonefruits, milk chocolate
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 1m 40s extraction time, total 225g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: Raspberry, peach, watermelon, maple syrup