Nelson Ramirez bought Finca Cheli in 2009 on the same day his second son was born and named it after his grandmother. With the idea to provide his children with a better future he wanted to invest, this time, purely on quality. This is why he decided to buy a coffee farm on the famous Santa Barbara Mountain, in the Montecillos region. This mountain has a reputation of its own for its very special microclimate. High altitude, cold nights, volcanic soil and high humidity produced by the lake Yojoa right next to it provide exceptional growing conditions for coffee. Very often coffees from this mountain will show sparkly citrus, blackcurrant and very complex qualities.
Nelson enjoys cupping and pushes himself to understand what creates quality. It also helps him to work as a technician for IHCAFE (Honduran Institute of Coffee) this means he goes around to different farms teaching and helping producers to improve their crop. From nurturing the soil, to the picking and the washing process his attention to detail is remarkable. He started training Luis, the manager of his farm to learn how to cup and grade coffees too.
Finca Cheli is one of the well-known coffee farms for quality production. This washed catuai has a great balanced quality between the fruity-sweetness and rounded texture which waters your mouth.
How this coffee is roasted
This coffee is light roasted but well developed to enhance its sweetness and balance.
- Origin: Honduras
- Region: Santa Barbara
- Farm: Finca Cheli
- Altitude: 1,550masl
- Variety: Catuai
- Process: Washed
- Best Ageing Window: 14-21 days
- Best as: Espresso, Pourover Filter
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 20g dose, 42g beverage yield, 24s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: Apple, blackberry, green tea
- Milk: 23g dose, 44g beverage yield, 30s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: Green tea, berries, chocolate
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 2m 10s extraction time, total 225g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: Apple, blackberry, sencha green tea, cacao