Everyone loves a good story and it doesn’t get better than Mwendi Wega. Unsatisfied with delivering to their local factory and cooperative, a group of closely located farmers outside of the city of Kerugoya decided to pull their collective resources together and build a factory – washing station. With an experienced mill manager and a tight knit membership group this coffee is some of our favourite out of Kenya this year. With ripe black currant flavour, beautiful complexity, and a sparkling lime zest acidity, we are sure you will join in our collective affection for this coffee.
Highland grown Kenyan coffees always have beautiful tea-like notes, citrus fruits flavours and rounded heavy body. For this coffee, Mwendi Wega AB is a classical washed Kenyan coffee that has a bright citrus-like acidity as well as an overwhelming black-tea character. It just allows a wide flavour range to the roaster as the coffee has great potential.
How this coffee is roasted
Finally, we have decided to roast this coffee at a little more developed but still in the light roast range. This profile enhances its sweetness and body. Also, its acidity is very well balanced with other elements.
- Origin: Kenya
- Region: Kiringaya
- Farm: Mwendi Wega
- Altitude: 1,800
- Variety: SL28 & Ruiru 11
- Process: Washed
- Best Ageing Window: 14-21 days
- Best as: Pourover Filter
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 19g dose, 38g beverage yield, 27s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: Black currant, prune, black tea
- Milk: 23g dose, 50g beverage yield, 35s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: Caramel, cacao, black berry
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 1m 30s extraction time, total 225g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: Black currant, black berry, caramel, prune