Getuya Coffee Factory is operated by the Mwirua Farmers Cooperative Society (F.C.S.), and was founded in 1964. There are 900 contributing producers who deliver cherry to the factory from their small (1/5 of a hectare) farmland within the area. After the coffee is delievered and sorted, it is immediately depulped, fermented underwater for 15–24 hours, and washed three times before being spread on metal drying tables. It typically takes 6–7 days for the Washed coffees to dry, though the factory also produces Honey and Natural coffees.
Mwirua is a classical bright and juicy Kenyan coffee that gives a nice quality when brewed as pourover filter coffee. Its juiciness waters mouth and well-rounded texture makes even more pleasant overall experience.
How this coffee is roasted
To highlight its characteristics, the coffee is light roasted.
- Origin: Kenya
- Region: Kiringaya
- Farm: Mwirua Coop
- Altitude: 1,540masl
- Variety: SL28. SL34 & Ruiru 11
- Process: Washed
- Best Ageing Window: 14-21 days
- Best as: Pourover Filter
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 20g dose, 42g beverage yield, 27s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: Cranberry, grapefruit, caramel
- Milk: 23g dose, 48g beverage yield, 35s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: Caramel, cacao, black berry
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 1m 50s extraction time, total 225g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: Cranberry, caramel, black tea, grapefruit