Gatuya Coffee Factory is located in a valley between two hills, near Kahuro town, in the Muranga District of the Central Province. It was established in 1962 and is currently affiliated with the New Murarandia Farmers Coop Society. The region is unusual in having a biennial production cycle: the main harvest takes place from October to December, and a smaller harvest from March to May. In most of the world (aside from Colombia’s diverse microclimates) a single annual harvest is typical. Farmers in this region deliver their cherry to the factory (also known as a wetmill) where it is depulped, dry-fermented, washed and soaked using water pumped from the River Muriuriu to the reservoir tanks. Parchment is then dried on raised tables (shown in the picture on this page) during which time it is frequently turned and constantly sorted by hand to remove any defects.
Gatuya is a coffee from a small coffee mill located in between two hills in Muranga district in Kenya. This region is absolutely great to produce quality coffees not only because its altitude and soil but also they are consisted of dedicated and passionate producers. The hard work of the producers results in this coffee as juicy, fruity, nice syrupy body, and great balanced quality.
How this coffee is roasted
This coffee is medium-light roasted to boost its sweetness and rounded rich body. Also, an enough development balances between its complex acidity and the rest.
- Origin: Kenya
- Region: Muranga
- Farm: Gatuya
- Altitude: 1,750masl
- Variety: SL28, Ruiru 11
- Process: Washed
- Best Ageing Window: 14-21 days
- Best as: Pourover Filter
How to brew this coffee
- Espresso: 19g dose, 46g beverage yield, 25s extraction time
- Flavour Profile: Pine grapefruit, lime, cacao, black tea
- Milk: 23g dose, 44g beverage yield, 34s extraction time, 150g milk
- Flavour Profile: Citrus, stonefruits, black tea
- Pourover Filter: 15g dose, 45g water + 30s blooming, 2m 15s extraction time, total 240g water
- Brewing Method: Chanho-Tornado (Click here to see details of the brewing method)
- Flavour Profile: Pink grapefruit, orange, dark chocolate, black tea