The Aeropress has become a beloved brewing device among coffee enthusiasts for its versatility and ease of use. And every year, the World Aeropress Championship (WAC) brings together some of the best baristas from around the world to compete for the title of the best Aeropress brewer.
In 2022, Jibbi Little from Australia took home the top prize with her unique and flavorful Aeropress recipe. Using a combination of inverted brewing and a custom filter basket, Jibbi was able to bring out the best flavors of the coffee and impress the judges with her technique.
Here's Jibbi Little's winning Aeropress recipe for WAC 2022:
- Aeropress paper filter
- 14g coffee (medium-fine grind size)
- 220g water (85°C / 185°F)
- Optional: Lemon twist
- Rinse the Aeropress paper filter with hot water and discard the water.
- Invert the Aeropress and add the coffee to the brew chamber.
- Start the timer and pour 40g of water over the coffee, making sure to saturate all the grounds evenly.
- After 30 seconds, add another 40g of water and stir gently.
- After 1 minute, add the remaining 140g of water and stir again.
- Attach the custom filter basket to the Aeropress and place it on top of your cup or carafe.
- Press down gently and steadily for 30 seconds.
- Remove the Aeropress and enjoy your delicious cup of coffee.
Jibbi's recipe stands out for its use of a custom filter basket, which allows for a more even extraction and a cleaner cup of coffee. The combination of a medium-fine grind size and a lower water temperature also helps to bring out the unique flavors of the coffee.
If you want to take Jibbi's recipe to the next level, you can even add a lemon twist to the brew. Simply peel a strip of lemon zest and rub it on the rim of your cup before pouring the coffee. The citrus aroma and flavor will complement the coffee and add a refreshing twist to your brew.
So why not give Jibbi Little's winning Aeropress recipe a try and experience the magic of the Aeropress for yourself? With a little practice and experimentation, you might just discover your own award-winning recipe.