Quality Report - Colombia La Fantasia Castillo CM Natural
About This Coffee
Producer Guillermo Hormanza and his wife Elsa inherited the family farm La Fantasia from Elsa’s parents, and they bought the remaining rights from her siblings to have sole ownership. For over 15 years, Guillermo and Elsa have cultivated coffee, but it has only been in the last few years that they have worked to produce specialty grade coffee. After noticing the price differences compared to the expenses involved in producing coffee, Guillermo found that La Fantasia’s harvests were unprofitable in the commodity market, and this sparked the need for change.
Since 2019, Guillermo and Elsa have worked exclusively with Project Origin. They have worked smart and hard to adjust their processing and harvesting techniques, such as only picking cherries when ripe, adjusting the soil fertilisation, and pulping on the same day as picking. These small differences have made big changes to their quality.
Project Origin’s aim is to work with La Fantasia to build together a sustainable model farm, that could in the future be replicated to other farms throughout the region. This work involves us buying 100% of the coffee La Fantasia produces. We work with 60% of their total production as our Regional La Fantasia lot and use the remaining harvest towards creating controlled fermentation coffees, including our new carbonic maceration processed decaf offering. We are proud to present these fermentation coffees in conjunction with the trusted Regional offering, and we believe this approach could help us build an economically sustainable future for Guillermo, Elsa and La Fantasia.
- Origin: Colombia
- Region: La Honda, Cauca
- Farm/Coop/Mill: La Fantasia
- Producer: Guillermo Hormanza
- Variety: Castillo
- Process: CM Natural
- Altitude: 1800masl
- Harvest: April - June & October - December
- Sourcing Partner: Project Origin
- Quality Score: 91
- Aroma: Cherries and Dried Plums
- Flavour: Red Apple, Tropical Fruits, Brown Sugar, Milk Chocolate
- Aftertaste: Milk Chocolates
- Acidity: Red Apples
- Body: Tropical Fruits and Brown Sugar-like body
- Balance & Overall: A great representation of a Natural Colombian Coffee. The coffee itself is quite cleaner and balanced than your usual Colombian.
Recommended Brewing Parameters
- Espresso: 20g In, 40g Out, 27 Seconds
- Milk-based (150ml): 23g In, 44g Out, 30 Seconds, 150g Milk
- Pourover Filter (Chanho-Tornado): 15g In, 225g Out, 2 Minute 00 Seconds (45G Bloom, 30 Seconds)