Quality Report - Ethiopia Gesha Village Gaylee Lot 22/026 Illubabar Forest Honey
About This Coffee
Gesha Village is one of the most cherished coffee producers on the planet with 471-hectares in the Bench Maji zone of Ethiopia, nearby the town of Gesha and the Gori Gesha forest, the birthplace of the Gesha variety.
Owned and operated by Adam Overton, Rachel Samuel and Willem Boot, this project was started in 2007 and has quickly developed to be an idolized producer in the specialty coffee world. With ~320 hectares planted of Gesha 1931, Gori Gesha and Illubabor Forest varieties, throughout 8 different zones that correlate with unique terroir.
A mixed system of agroforesty practices are utilized, with mostly natural forests providing shade and introducing the coffee to a diverse wildlife and flora, which provide a symbiotic system of organisms. The soil is brown-red loamy and virgin forest.
This lot comes from the Gaylee block, which is named after the southeast-facing neighbourhood nearby to the farm, where Gesha Villages water source comes from. This lot is exclusively planted with Illubabor Forest, a variety that was discovered in the nearby areas and is taken directly to dry for 26 days in raised beds under the sun and mixed shade. There is no intentional fermentation stage utilized.
- Origin: Ethiopia
- Region: Bench Sheko (Maji)
- Farm/Coop/Mill: Gaylee
- Producer: Gesha VIllage
- Variety: Illubabar Forest
- Process: Honey
- Altitude: 1916 - 1982masl
- Harvest: 11th of November
- Sourcing Partner: Forward Green Coffee
- Quality Score: 88
- Aroma: Tea-like and Rose
- Flavour: Orange Blossom, Strawberry, Rose, Wine, Mandarin
- Aftertaste: Winey and Orange Blossom
- Acidity: Mandarin
- Body: Strawberry and Orange Blossom
- Balance & Overall: Overall a very tea-like with a clean finish. Honey processed coffee with lots of washed coffee characteristics
Recommended Brewing Parameters
- Espresso: 20g In, 42g Out, 27 Seconds
- Milk-based (150ml): 23g In, 44g Out, 30 Seconds, 150g Milk
- Pourover Filter (Chanho-Tornado): 15g In, 225g Out, 2 Minute 00 Seconds (45G Bloom, 30 Seconds)