Quality Report - Guatemala Hamacas Caturra & Bourbon Washed
About This Coffee
In 1958, Jorge Vides, founded Finca La Bolsa, a coffee plantation located in La Libertad, Huehuetenango. Jorge Vides brought the land, which was then covered in forest, and proceeded to cultivate bourbon and caturra varietals.
While working as a full-time doctor, the farm was his real hobby. His passion for health led him to become the Director of the National Hospital of Huehuetenango, which to this day, bears his name. His humanitarian sense extended beyond coffee production. In 1980, he founded a school that still runs on the farm, which has since been named after him and authorised by the Ministry of Education. Four years later, Anacafé named him "Distinguished Coffee Grower" due to his success in production work.
In 2001, the second and third generation, production was turned over to dedicate itself to the production of specialty coffee. His grandson Renardo Ovalle now running production. Vides is still a company passionate about innovation, precision, and quality.
- Origin: Guatemala
- Region: Huehuetenango
- Farm/Coop/Mill: Finca La Bolsa
- Producer: Renardo Ovalle
- Variety: Caturra & Bourbon
- Process: Washed
- Altitude: 1250 - 1600masl
- Harvest: December - April
- Sourcing Partner: Langdon Coffee Merchants
- Quality Score: 86
- Aroma: Brown Sugar and Tea-like
- Flavour: Mandarin, Peach, Blackcurrant, Brown Sugar, Black Tea
- Aftertaste: Clean Black Tea Finish
- Acidity: Mandarin
- Body: Peach and Blackcurrant
- Balance & Overall: A very clean cup, not too complex with great fruitty and tea-like flavours.
Recommended Brewing Parameters
- Espresso: 20g In, 40g Out, 27 Seconds
- Milk-based (150ml): 23g In, 44g Out, 30 Seconds, 150g Milk
- Pourover Filter (Chanho-Tornado): 15g In, 225g Out, 2 Minute 00 Seconds (45G Bloom, 30 Seconds)