Quality Report - Honduras Finca Cristal Pacas Washed
About This Coffee
Finca Cristal is managed by the Madrid family. Esteban Madrid Chavez, a third generation coffee producer, has managed this particular farm for many years after purchasing the land in 1978, and now entrusts his sons and grandsons to help with the management and organisation of the property across various plots. One of his sons, Franklin, says the key to their success is through the constant training of the workers and a constant rotation of planting trees at the farm and in its surroundings. The coffee price crisis has certainly affected the Madrid family in their worker capacity for coffee production, but they continue to produce what they can with the quality they are known to produce - they are famous after all as the 2008 COE winners for Honduras - and Project Origin is happy to be able to share their offering.
The farm features a beautiful natural ‘loung’ that has been preserved to maintain the biodiversity in the area. There is a little forest that remains natural and unhindered right in the middle of the farm and an untouched creek flows through the rocks and trees from one edge of Finca Cristal to the other. The Madrid family told us on a visit a few years ago that they believe it is important to provide the natural flora and fauna some space so it can grow and develop a healthy biosphere that would, in turn, promote healthy growth for any other tress they introduce to the area, including coffee trees. For this reason, the coffee planting at Finca Cristal has not been maximised, and focus rather on promoting super healthy and happy flora that produces extraordinary flavours.
- Origin: Honduras
- Region: Santa Barbara
- Farm/Coop/Mill: Finca Cristal
- Producer: Esteban Madrid
- Variety: Pacas
- Process: Washed
- Altitude: 1450masl
- Harvest: February - May
- Sourcing Partner: Project Origin
- Quality Score: 86
- Aroma: Dried Plums
- Flavour: Green Apple, Dried Plum, Dates, Figs, Chocolate
- Aftertaste: Chocolaty finish
- Acidity: Acidity of Green Apples
- Body: Dried Plums, Dates and Figs
- Balance & Overall: Overall a good representation of a Washed Honduras Coffee.
Recommended Brewing Parameters
- Espresso: 20g In, 40g Out, 27 Seconds
- Milk-based (150ml): 23g In, 40g Out, 30 Seconds, 150g Milk
- Pourover Filter (Chanho-Tornado): 15g In, 225g Out, 1 Minute 50 Seconds (45G Bloom, 30 Seconds)