Quality Report - Panama Hacienda La Esmeralda Mario 31AS Geisha Washed
About This Coffee
The Jaramillo mountain air is wet and cold, perfect for making the aromatics of the Geisha variety sing. Though Geisha variety coffees had been planted sporadically across the area, it was a lot separated out from one small region on this farm that led to the rediscovery of Geisha.
The farm rises, from rolling hills on its lower part, to steep 40 degree inclines higher up, making harvesting a manual and challenging affair. There had been coffee planted on the lower parts of the farm – as many as 15 different sub varieties, hybrids out of Costa Rica and Brazil, and in 1997 the Peterson family decided to plant higher up.
It is these high altitudes that the Geisha’s bright, floral aromatics express themselves. With cooler temperatures and massive shade trees that have been standing for ages, Jaramillo is the perfect place for this variety to grow. To this day many of our top performing microlots of Geisha coffee come from little patches on the slopes of Jaramillo.
- Origin: Panama
- Region: Boquete
- Farm/Coop/Mill: Mario
- Producer: Hacienda La Esmeralda
- Variety: Geisha
- Process: Washed
- Altitude: 1650 - 1763masl
- Harvest: January - March
- Sourcing Partner: Hacienda La Esmeralda
- Quality Score: 92
- Aroma: Florals and Jasmine
- Flavour: Orange, Yellow Peach, Jasmine, Citrus, Floral, Honeydew Melon
- Aftertaste: Clean Floral finish
- Body: Yellow Peaches and Citrusy body
- Balance & Overall: Very high quality washed geisha from Panama with sweet, floral and clean flavours.
Recommended Brewing Parameters
- Espresso: 20g In, 42g Out, 27 Seconds
- Milk-based (150ml): 23g In, 44g Out, 30 Seconds, 150g Milk
- Pourover Filter (Chanho-Tornado): 15g In, 225g Out, 2 Minute 00 Seconds (45G Bloom, 30 Seconds)